INSTRUCTION: Answer questions 56 to 60 in relation to text 2.
Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful
- At work, as in life, attractive women get a lot of
- the breaks. Studies have shown that they are more
- likely to be promoted than their plain-Jane colleagues.
- Because people tend to project positive traits onto
- them, such as sensitivity and poise, they may also
- be at an advantage in job interviews. But research
- by two Israelis suggests otherwise.
- These researchers looked at what happens
- when job hunters include photos with their curricula
- vitae (CV), as is the norm in much of Europe and
- Asia. They sent fictional applications to over 2,500
- real-life vacancies. For each job they sent two very
- similar résumés, one with a photo, one without. For
- men, the results were as expected. Hunks were more
- likely to be called for an interview if they included a
- photo. Ugly men were better off not including one.
- However, for women this was reversed. Attractive
- females were less likely to be offered an interview if
- they included their photo.
- At first they considered that people assume
- beautiful women to be stupid. However, the photos
- had also been rated on how intelligent people
- thought each subject looked; there was no correlation
- between perceived intellect and physical beauty. So
- the cause of the discrimination must lie elsewhere.
- Human Resource (HR) departments tend to be staffed
- mostly by women. Indeed, 93% of those tasked with
- selecting whom to invite for an interview were female.
- The researchers unavoidable – and unpalatable
- – conclusion is that old-fashioned jealousy led the
- women to discriminate against pretty candidates.
(Source: The Economist – Mar 31st 2012, adapted)
INSTRUCTION: Answer question 58 in relation to the researchers results referred in text 2.
Attractive women who want to be hired immediately should
1. fight against discrimination and jealousy.
2. analyze the cause of the inequality.
3. avoid to send pictures with their résumés, if possible.
4. criticize the way HR staff interview women.
5. attach to their CV photos that make them look graceless.
The only correct attitudes are